sábado, 1 de mayo de 2010
Belize-COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER VOLUNTEER
Job Type: volunteer position
Opportunity location: GOLDEN STREAM OPERATIONS CENTRE & PUNTA GORDA OFFICE
Closing date (if specified): No date specified (will remain here for 90 days from posting date)
Make a difference while experiencing Belize!
The Ya’axché Conservation Trust is a community-oriented organization which advances integrated landscape management for equitable development in southern Belize through sustainable land use management, strategic advocacy and awareness, and by supporting socially innovative and economically viable enterprise.
Duration of Assignment:
6 months preferred
Communication Officer Responsibilities:
1. To assist in the effective communication of Ya’axché’s programs to internal and external audiences.
2. Website and blog maintenance
3. Implement Ya’axché’s Communication Strategy
4. Produce press releases, newsletters and brochures
5. Provide internal communication training as needed
6. Provide support to project activities in line with aptitude and experience.
7. To help maintain internal and external relationships, by liaising with relevant individuals from organizations operational in the region.
• The successful applicant should have the following:
• Strong IT skills
• Experience with website maintenance and blogging preferred
• Prefer internet savvy with experience using: Dreamweaver, MS Office Suite
• Strong interest and experience in biodiversity conservation and sustainable development
• Excellent communication skills, a meticulous attention to detail
• Ability to operate as part of a team in a dynamic environment, as well as motivation and enthusiasm to work under own initiative
• Cultural sensitivity and interest in building local capacity
• A strong entrepreneurial streak
• An ability to think strategically
• Common sense and flexibility
• A minimum BSc or equivalent in a relevant subject area (e.g. communications, biology, environmental sciences)
Benefits of Volunteering with Ya’axché:
o Free, shared housing (or camping) in a quiet, nature preserve
o Opportunity to work closely with dynamic, multi-cultural staff
o Appreciation for your dedication and hard work
o Excellent references
o Adventure in a country with pristine ecosystems, world-class snorkeling and SCUBA
o In-depth, interactive cultural experience unattainable by tourists
Volunteers live and work in a beautiful but rustic, rural setting at Ya’axché Field Center and become part of the team to gain and promote the understanding and action necessary for a sustainable environment. Accommodations offer limited solar power, a cold water, shared bathroom, and the occasional rat, bat, tarantula, or scorpion.
Volunteer Personal Expenses:
There are no program fees charged for this experience, but the volunteer is expected to arrange and pay for:
o Transportation to Punta Gorda, Belize, including airfare
o Food, personal expenses, in-country travel, passport, visa
For more info, contact:
Please read the ‘Volunteer Information Manual’ at the bottom of this link www.yct.bz/volunteers.html before applying.
Submit letter of interest detailing why you are interested and how you meet qualifications, along with resumé and 2 letters of reference to:
Development Officer, Ya’axché Conservation Trust
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please type in Subject: “Communications Officer”
Ya’axché Conservation Trust
P.O. Box 177
#2 Alejandro Vernon Street, Punta Gorda,
Toledo District, Belize