Playa Pacuare, north Caribbean coast of Costa Rica, Central America
Asociación LAST offers a limited number of positions to work as a Research Assistant (RA) in its Sea Turtle Conservation Projects. This is an exciting opportunity to get hands on experience with these magnificent animals! This job is done voluntarily by the RA’s and no salaries or stipends are paid. Depending on the previous experience and skills of an applicant, it will be decided whether the costs of lodging and food will be covered by LAST or if the assistant will be asked to pay $10 or $5 per night. Each RA will be responsible for his own travel expenses to the project site in Costa Rica. Also, RAs should cover other personal expenses like lodging, special food and drinks and transportation to and from the project.
We are looking for qualified RAs for the Pacuare Nesting Beach project on the Caribbean side of Costa Rica to begin our 2015 leatherback turtle nesting season. All positions will begin February13th of 2015 and will continue for a period of two and half months.
Daily patrols, hatchery manage, beach cleaning, turtle tagging, data base, etc
20 years of age or older and in good physical condition.
· Fluent in the English and Spanish (advanced) language.
· Educational background (undergraduates or graduates) in Biology, Marine Biology, Resource Conservation, Ecology, Environmental Education, Veterinarian Medicine, Wildlife Management, Oceanography, Zoology and/or experience in working with Sea Turtles.
· Willing to a firm commitment to work 2.5 months in the project.
· Interested in sharing his/her knowledge and to stimulate in the volunteers the interest for sea turtle protection and conservation.
· Be a responsible, hardworking, communicative, tidy and enthusiastic person.
· Capable to live in very rustic and basic living conditions and under adverse climatic conditions. Usually it is very hot with 100% of humidity, frequent rain and very heavy sometimes. With lots of mosquitoes and/or sand flies.
· Be proactive, sociable, open minded and flexible.
· Preferably with first aid certificate.
Depend skills and background.
Additional Contact Information
Send your Curriculum Vitae (CV), letter of intent and three references with e-mail addresses to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline: January 20th, 2015.