miércoles, 28 de diciembre de 2011
Field guide and marine science internship - Bahamas
International Field Studies, a non-profit organization based in Columbus Ohio, is hiring for several field guide intern positions at Forfar Field Station on Andros Island, The Bahamas.
Field guide interns live at the field station and are responsible for daily interactions with field station guests, including high school and college study abroad programs, as well as visiting researchers and volunteers. Field guide interns run daily trips by land and boat, teaching visiting guests about areas of ecological, historical, and cultural interest, as well as performing many operational duties involved in managing and running the field station and the programs it supports.
- Leading daily excursions around North Andros Island, by land and boat
- Nightly lectures on at least two subjects, including but not limited to: fish identification and behavior, invertebrate identification and ecology, geology, botany, Bahamian history and culture, ornithology, oceanography, etc
- Maintenance duties at the field station: repairing cabins, landscaping, cleaning vehicles and boats, minor mechanical work
- Operational duties such as ordering food and supplies, managing weekly international charter flights, tracking expenses
- Customer service and hospitality to field station guests
- Some minor food preparation and cleaning
- Bachelors degree in a scientific or environmental field
- Outgoing, easy-going personality: customer service and adaptability within a constantly shifting schedule is a must
- Maintenance background; ability to conduct minor mechanical, construction, electrical, or landscaping work
- Boat driving background
- SCUBA certifications
- International living experience
- Experience living in a communal setting with co-workers and guests
We are hiring for 2 positions immediately and possibly more in the spring. Promising applicants will be invited down for an applicant week, and all applications will be kept on file for future review.
Interested applicants should download the application PDF (http://intlfieldstudies.org/images/forms/ifs_employment_application.pdf), complete it and send it along with a cover letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org.