domingo, 31 de julio de 2016
Research assistants. Costa Rica.
Turtle Trax SA is a Costa Rican company that runs four sea turtle nesting beach projects in partnership with PRETOMA, a Costa Rican NGO. The focus of the projects is to protect sea turtle nests from poaching and depredation by conducting night patrols and relocating nests to the project hatcheries. The projects are funded through a combination of the volunteer program and private donations. Each project consists of a team of one coordinator, 3-month term research assistants, and short-term volunteers.
Research assistants are responsible for assisting the coordinator in all aspects of running the project, and will gain hands-on experience working with sea turtles. It is crucial that selected assistants bring a positive attitude to the project, work well within a team, be adaptable to a variety of situations, and be prepared to partake in ALL aspects of the project.
Examples of responsibilities include:
- Leading 3-4 hour night patrols and morning censuses
- Tagging and measuring nesting turtles
- Building and maintaining project hatcheries
- Hatchery monitoring and nest excavations
- Station house maintenance and cleaning
- Cooking group meals
- Training volunteers
We have 8 positions available from September 21st to December 15th. The following RA fees include accommodation and 3 meals per day. Travel expenses and extra snacks are not included.
San Miguel: $450/month
Costa de Oro: $400/month
Corozalito and Bejuco: $300/month.
Research assistants are expected to stay at the project site for the entire period in which they are selected. Requirements include:
- Independent, reliable and responsible.
- Motivated, positive and adaptable to unexpected situations.
- Able to undertake physical labor during night and day in extreme weather conditions.
- Comfortable in an isolated setting and working within a team.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
Conversational spanish and previous experience working in the outdoors, especially with sea turtles, are valuable, but not required.
Please visit our website to read more about the position and individual projects. Email the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
1. Cover letter (please state whether you prefer a particular project)
3. List of at least 2 professional or academic references