The Restoration Ecology Lab at University of Montana’s College of Forestry and Conservation is seeking three forestry field technicians to assist with an assessment of post-fire vegetation recovery and dry forest ecosystem resilience to wildfire. Field work will primarily take place in the Parque Nacional Sierra de San Pedro Martir in Baja, Mexico (SSPM). Travel to SSPM and field sites will be provided. In addition to measuring vegetation characteristics, crew members will learn methods for validating remotely sensed imagery (LiDAR), a highly desirable skill for land managers and conservation scientists.
• Collecting detailed vegetation data, including measuring forest fuels, surveying trees and regeneration, and estimating abundance of understory plants and substrates.
• Traveling to, camping, and working for 8-day sessions (followed by six days off) in a remote national park on the Baja peninsula of Mexico.
• Spending extensive periods in remote locations without regular access to facilities (e.g., showers) or communications (e.g., cell phone and internet).
• Hiking and collecting data for long hours in rugged terrain and potentially adverse weather conditions.
• Have or be working towards a degree in forestry, botany, ecology, or related field.
• Have experience collecting vegetation data.
• Be physically and mentally fit for camping, hiking, and working in all kinds of weather in a remote region.
• Be a team player, agreeable, and able to get along with people.
• Demonstrate a dedication to accurate and consistent data collection, and have effective problem-solving skills and a strong work ethic.
• Possess a valid driver’s license and passport.
• For two of the three open positions, preference will be given to individuals who are fluent in Spanish.
• Preference may be given to applicants with experience navigating backcountry roads and driving 4WD vehicles.
Salary: $13 - $15/hour, depending on experience
Dates: Field work will begin in late May or early June and continue through August 2014.
Application Materials: Please combine into a single PDF: 1) a cover letter describing your qualifications and interest, 2) a resume or CV, and 3) email addresses and phone numbers for three references who can speak to your relevant experience and character. Please email these materials to email@example.com. Application review will begin on March 1st and continue until all positions are filled.
For more information, please contact Haley Wiggins at (206)-799-6252 or firstname.lastname@example.org