Development officer internship at the Toledo Institute for Development and Environment, Belize
The Toledo Institute of Development and Environment (TIDE) is a Belizean NGO working to protect some of the most pristine coastal and marine ecosystems in Central America, including the healthiest coral reef in the whole Mesoamerican Barrier Reef System. TIDE works by building local capacity for conservation and fostering community participation in sustainable management of natural resources.
TIDE is one of the leading conservation organizations in the region and is pioneering new approaches, including the first implementation of a managed access fishery policy in the Mesoamerican Reef as well as an award-winning environmental education and sports competition, the “TIDE Freshwater Cup”.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a volunteer development officer to join the development team at TIDE. This important role will involve the following duties:
- Designing conservation and sustainable development projects in collaboration with program staff, development team and stakeholders.
- Researching prospective funding opportunities.
- Writing funding proposals and securing funds from statutory funders, private foundations and individuals.
The successful candidate will possess the following skills and qualities:
- Excellent writing, organizational and inter-personal skills.
- A passion for the natural world and biodiversity conservation.
- A good quality bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- A sound understanding of environmental issues.
- Initiative, energy, enthusiasm and creativity.
- Willingness / ability to commit to a minimum of six months unpaid work.
The following would be desirable:
- Experience in a fundraising role.
- Postgraduate qualification in a relevant field.
- Experience living in a developing country and among people of other cultures.
The development officer volunteer will work alongside the development director. Training will be provided but the successful candidate will be proactive and self-sufficient. Benefits of volunteering for TIDE include:
- A chance to gain valuable experience.
- A chance to make a lasting, positive impact.
- Living and working in a beautiful, peaceful, multi-cultural Caribbean town.
- Being part of a friendly and dynamic team of committed individuals in a leading Belizean conservation NGO.
- Appreciation for your dedication and hard work.
- Opportunities to visit the protected areas managed by TIDE and get involved in other aspects of TIDE’s work.
- Adventure in a country with pristine ecosystems, world-class snorkeling and SCUBA.
Please see our website (http://www.tidebelize.org/) for more information about our programs and activities and our Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TIDEBZE for the latest news. Questions may be addressed to Alexandra Smith,development officer intern, at email@example.com. To apply, please send your c.v. and a cover letter in an email with the title “TIDE development officer” to Dr. James Lord, development director at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 4th October. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted to arrange a telephone interview by the following Friday.