viernes, 31 de julio de 2015
Volunteer: Research Assistants for Turtle Trax/Pretoma Beach Projects- Costa Rica
Volunteer Opportunity. This internship is not paid, and interns pay a fee that depends on the project.
Research Assistants for Turtle Trax/Pretoma Beach Projects
Caletas: There are 2 positions available for September 2 - November 27
Corozalito: There is one position available for September 20 - December 15
Southern Nicoya Peninsula, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Turtle Trax SA is a Costa Rican company that runs four sea turtle nesting beach projects in partnership with PRETOMA, a Costa Rican NGO. The focus of the projects is to protect sea turtle nests from poaching and depredation by conducting night patrols and relocating nests to the project hatcheries. The projects are funded through a combination of the volunteer program and private donations. Each project a team of one coordinator, 3-month term research assistants, and short-term volunteers.
Research assistants will be responsible for assisting the coordinator in all aspects of running the project, and will gain hands-on experience working with sea turtles. It is crucial that selected assistants bring a positive attitude to the project, work well within a team, be adaptable to a variety of situations, and be prepared to partake in ALL aspects of the project. Examples of responsibilities include:
- Leading 3-4 hour night patrols and morning censuses
- Tagging and measuring nesting turtles
- Building and maintaining project hatcheries
- Hatchery monitoring and nest excavations
- Station house maintenance and cleaning
- Cooking group meals
- Training volunteers
Research assistants are expected to stay at the project site for the entire period in which they are selected. Requirements include:
- Independent, reliable and responsible.
- Motivated, positive and adaptable to unexpected situations.
- Able to undertake physical labor during night and day in extreme weather conditions.
- Comfortable in an isolated setting and working within a team.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
Conversational spanish and previous experience working in the outdoors, especially with sea turtles, are valuable, but not required.
This internship is not paid, and interns pay a fee that depends on the project.
Caletas: $200 per month.
Corozalito: $300 per month.
The RA fee includes accomodation and 3 meals per day. Travel expenses and extra snacks are not included.
Additional Contact Information
Please visit our website to read more about the position and individual projects. Email the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
1. Cover letter (please state whether you prefer a particular project)
3. List of at least 2 professional or academic references